- Product Reviews
- Health Facts
- Sugar-Free Challenge
This is my absolute favorite salad dressing. Ever.
Move over simple Dijon, healthy fresh, spicy, salty, tangy, smooth Cilantro!
Last month I was in a hard salad dressing rut. I barely wanted to touch my veggies (shocking!), and I wanted a new, tasty dressing, fast. What I love about this dressing is the depth of flavor and tang. It is super easy to make, too: simple blend and go! It has almost a mexican flavor with the cilantro and hot sauce, but not so pronounced that you have to be in a mexican “mood” to eat this. Plus, it is low fat and low in calories. Definitely a bonus for bikini season!
So go ahead, eat your salad in a bikini and actually enjoy it!
Spicy Cilantro Vinaigrette with Crispy Corn Strips
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 cup dressing
~This salad is low fat, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and sugar-free.
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (or more depending on your spicy-preferences)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Corn tortillas
- olive oil
- Spinach or mixed greens
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Crispy Corn Strips:
- For the Dressing: Blend all ingredients until smooth and chill slightly before using
- For Crispy Corn Strips: slice the tortillas into strips. Heat a skillet on medium heat and grease with olive oil. Place the corn strips in an even layer on the skillet and sprinkle with salt. Turn over tortillas strips when first side is crisp. The cooking time should take about a minute. Let dry for a few minutes before putting on salad (the strips crisp up more when dry).
- To assemble salad: Place greens in a bowl. Layer with tomatoes and avocado and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Top with crispy corn strips and drizzle with dressing.
This salad also tastes good with cut cucumbers and black or kidney beans for protein.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a cleansing herb and can help remove toxins and heavy metals from the body. The sight oil content in the herb can also aid in digestion. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and contains immune-boosting properties. It is a good source of fiber, magnesium, and iron.
- Olive Oil: A good source of Omega-3 oil, which can help lower bad cholesterol. It also helps promote clear and healthy skin, nails, and hair.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A good source of pectin, potassium, calcium, and malic acid. These compounds can help regulate blood pressure, keep your teeth strong, balance PH of your blood, and can balance blood sugar levels. It can also help purify your body and soothe your digestion. Helps promote clear skin and flexible joints.
- Hot Sauce: Hot sauce contains Capsaicin, which is soothing to the stomach and can help fight infections. It can also suppress appetite, which prevents overeating and can help you lose weight.
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
What does your dream summer afternoon look like?
For me, my perfect summer afternoon would start off with a bike ride on the trail or a swim. Collect some shells later on. Then, grab a book and lay out in the sun for a while with some kombucha or fresh lemonade (sweetened with stevia). Play a board game with some friends or family, and then wrap it all up with a cook-out fireside: burgers, fresh watermelon, and corn on the cob!
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!