Too much fruit to eat?
I know that could never happen; but if it does, why not make a fruit crisp?
You can use up any pile of fruit you may have sitting in your produce drawer. Mix and match, use what’s in season, or even thaw some frozen fruit for the crisp!
Whatever you do, make sure you serve this with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
~This recipe is very versatile, and any fruit can be used. The fruit makes it naturally sweet! The fruit crisp is vegan, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free!
- 5 cups of fruit (fresh or frozen)
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- pinch salt
- optional: spices. I used 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of fresh minced ginger
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- If using frozen fruit, first thaw the fruit. If you are using fresh fruit, chop the fruit and place into a 2-qt baking dish. Then add the water and toss with salt (the salt brings out some of the natural sweetness in the fruit).
- Next, mix together the oats, nuts, and spices, and sprinkle over the fruit.
- Drizzle the coconut oil over the oat-nut topping.
- Bake the crisp for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit is tender and bubbling. If the top is not golden brown, you may wish to broil it for a few seconds until it has that nice golden coloring.
- Serve hot or cold with Whipped Coconut Cream.
Eat a bit of your fruit of choice before baking to make sure it is sweet enough for your tastes. If it isn't, try mixing it with another sweet fruit to make it sweeter, puree some dates with the extra liquid, or add a pinch of stevia.
In these pictures I made a Peach-Apple Crisp. I had a lot of peaches sitting on my counter when a peach crisp craving struck. The peaches weren’t quite ripe yet and rather crunchy, so I mixed it with a couple sweet apples and the sweetness and texture of the crisp was perfect. It was a refreshing way to end a nice summer meal.
Stuck on fruit mix ideas? How about some of these:
- Mixed Berry
- Black Cherry
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
Let’s expand this list! What does your favorite fruit crisp include?
Don’t forget to sign up for the Sugar-Free Challenge! It starts next Wednesday, and there are 175 participants so far.