- Product Reviews
- Health Facts
- Sugar-Free Challenge
I’ve been very excited about this recipe. A grain-free, sugar-free, paleo muffin bursting with lemon flavor and only 50 calories a pop? Yes please. I’ll take four.
I created this recipe to test out NuNatural‘s new Lemon stevia, which I am now in love with (for my thoughts on stevia in general, check out my FAQ page). A few drops of this lemon stevia with a squirt or fresh lemon juice in water tastes like a refreshing lemonade. You can even add some chia seeds to make it even more hydrating. Chia seeds could probably even replace the poppyseeds in this recipe if you feel adventurous.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 15 mini muffins (5 regular-sized)
Serving Size: 1 mini muffin
Calories per serving: 50 calories per muffin
~These muffins are grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free, nut-free, paleo, and sugar-free.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons oil (I like to use coconut oil when baking)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon liquid lemon stevia*see note
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest *see note
- 1 Tablespoon poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Combine all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt) until well-mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients (eggs, oil, stevia, zest, water) until smooth.
- Combine wet and dry and stir until well-combined.
- Fold in poppyseeds.
- Grease or line a mini-muffin tin. Pour batter into each muffin cup to the top of the liner.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.
When using lemon liquid stevia drops, the lemon zest is not necessary if you do not have it. You can also use plain liquid stevia with the lemon zest if you have that instead.
You may double or triple the recipe as needed.
- Lemons: Lemon is a great source of vitamin C and potassium. It can help lower blood pressure, strengthen immune system, and help relieve indigestion and constipation. Because of its diuretic properties, it can help cleanse the blood and flush out toxins.
- Coconut: Coconut is widely misunderstood because of it’s high fat content; however, coconut’s saturated fat is made up of medium-chain fatty acids. These medium-chains are easy to absorb and digest, and are converted quickly into energy. This means that the body has no opportunity to store the medium-chain as fat. Coconut is also a great source of dietary fiber with a whopping 5 grams per ounce!
Eat these for breakfast, snacks, or dessert. You might want to quadruple this recipe with the amount of muffins you will eat the next few weeks.
Citrus NuNaturals Liquid Stevia Giveaway
Courtesy of NuNaturals.
There will be 4 winners!
We cannot ship to P.O. Boxes, sorry!
This giveaway is officially over. Thanks to all who entered! The winners are Alex@therunwithin, Katherine d, Briita, and Ben.
How to Enter:
There are multiple ways to win. Please leave a separate comment below for each entry.
- Answer this question: Are you a fan of citrus-flavored foods? Tell me what you would use this stevia for!
- Subscribe to Spoonful of Sugar Free by entering your email address in the “Subscribe” box on the right. Or follow by RSS, google reader, etc.
- Like me on facebook.
- Follow me on twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway. Can be something like, “I want to win @NuNaturals citrus stevia @SugarFreeAlex http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/05/08/grain-free-lemon-poppyseed-muffins ”
- Like NuNaturals on facebook.
- Follow me on Pinterest and Pin this recipe.
- Blog about this giveaway on your blog.
Giveaway ends May 15th at Midnight.
Can’t wait for the giveaway to end and want to buy your own?
You can order your own stevia online at NuNaturals and enter the discount code BLG0612 to receive 15% off your entire order. Discount effective until June 30th, 2012. Continental U.S. customers will also receive free shipping if order is $35 or more.
Good luck to everyone!
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!