After spending an afternoon at the beach, I was in the mood for something cold and refreshing. Something hydrating to replenish my body. Something sweet, tart, and tasty.
I knew I wanted something fast, and I didn’t want to pull out the blender to make a smoothie. Instead, I pulled out a few ingredients that are known to help hydration, put them in a glass, and drank to Spring!
- 1 cup Sparkling Water
- 1 cup coconut water (please make sure it is pure, unsweetened coconut water)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon chia gel (mix 1 teaspoon chia with 3 Tablespoons water and let sit for 15 minutes)
- Combine all ingredients, and stir.
- Serve cold, over ice with a lime wedge.
- Coconut Water: I use coconut water as a substitute for Gatorade when I exercise because it naturally contains high levels of potassium and electrolytes without the added sugar. It can help with high blood pressure, and keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Lime: Great source of vitamin C. Lime also is good for digestion with it’s abundance of antioxidants, flavonoids, and acid content. It also has good levels of potassium, great for staying hydrated with electrolytes.
- Chia:Chia seeds can absorb up to 12 times it’s weight in water, so it is also a great hydrator. Chia seed is also a great source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. It can also help balance blood-sugar levels, so it is great for diabetics. It helps blood sugar levels by slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar. Read more here.
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
What do you use for hydration? Do you only drink it when you exercise, or do you drink it throughout the day?