11 years ago…

This guy was born.

My sweet, lovable, hairy, lazy, fluffy, attention-hogging, golden retriever, Pudder!

Happy Birthday! I love you, big guy!

Grain-Free Peanut Butter Apple Doggy Cake

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 1 large doggy cake

Serving Size: Varied. Depends on dog\'s size.

Grain-Free Peanut Butter Apple Doggy Cake

~Grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free, soy-free, and sugar-free.

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/2 apple, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350*.
  2. Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
  3. Grease a ramekin or a jumbo muffin tin. Fill with batter.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let cool for a couple minutes, and then slide the cake out of the baking container. Cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving to your dog.
  6. You may frost with extra peanut butter, if desired.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Pudder loves peanut butter, a dog after my own heart! He also likes to eat apples, so I combined the two ingredients to make this cake. Last year I made him a similar cake, but it contained brown rice flour and no eggs. This year, I made it grain-free because he switched to a grain-free dog food. If you want to see last year’s cake, click here.

Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:

Do you have any pets? Tell me about them!

If you do have pets, do you celebrate their birthday?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

45 Responses to Grain-Free Peanut Butter Apple Doggy Cake

1. Jenny$1983 says:

Awww, he is gorgeous!! Happy Birthday Pudder! :)

We have a brindle English Bull Terrier named Ozzie who is so charming that even people who don’t like dogs – or thought they didn’t! – fall in love with him, and a little black and white cat called Alex who was abused as a kitten so hides when anyone knocks on the door, but after several years is now pretty loving with us :) We don’t really celebrate their birthdays, as we treat them so well it’s kind of like their birthday every day :D

2. Clair says:

Happy birthday, Pudder! My mom had a cat named Pudder!

I have a grey kitty named Maus. She just turned 3 on March 1st, and you can bet we celebrated…and by celebrate, I mean I told her happy birthday and gave her some extra treats. =)

3. Yes I have a golden who is 13 (I think!). He looks a lot like Pudder in fact, but much grayer. He’s an oldy but I love him so much!

4. chrysta says:

Cute!! happy birthday to your puppers!

5. Jane says:

Happy birthday Pudder! What kind of grain free dog food does he eat? My dog is grain free as well, I just heard about this food Blue Buffalo I was going to look into … http://bluebuffalo.com/

6. Awwww just when I didn’t think it was possible to love you and your blog more, Alex, this post comes along <3 I always bake my pooch's treats for their birthdays. For our last dog, Derby, I used to make homemade treats all the time and I made her birthday cakes every year, etc. Our current dog, Seri, ironically (like me) seems to have issues with grains, therefore she is on a fully raw meat diet, with some fruits and veggies. Last year for her first birthday I made her coconut milk ice cream, but now I cannot wait to make her this cake for her 2nd bday in August. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy Birthday Pudder!

• Sugar Free Alex says:

Beth, you are too sweet! I love you and your blog, too!!!!

Seri and Derby are such cute names!!! I hope they like the bday treat :D

7. Zelda says:

What a sweet doggy…..happy birthday Pudders & what a special cake! We do not know When Mr. Buttercup’s birthday is but celebrate it on May 1st with an extra treat…..we celebrate the anniversary of when I found our black kitten, Polk-a-Dot, a little spot in the middle of the road….I found him on what would have been my grandpa’s 100th birthday so he has the same middle name as my grandpa, Goodpasture…..BTW, your blog is wonderful!!!!! Thank you for all your healthy inspiration!

• Sugar Free Alex says:

Zelda,

Awww :D Happy birthday to Mr. Buttercup (cute name). And to Polk-a-Dot when her birthday is! Cuties…and thank you so much for the sweet comment!

8. AHHH!!!! Your dog is ADORABLE!! I want to get a pup soooo badly, but I need to wait until I’m settled first :(. I need to find a lil’ birthday pooch to make this cake for!!^^

9. Yep, I have a dog too! A cross-breed rescue called Frankie. He has his own page on my blog (with “his” blog posts linked at the bottom of the page if you fancy a read LOL!)

10. love this! Gary and I hope to get a dog this summer, so bookmarking this recipe!

11. Bree says:

This fella is just too adorable.

12. Tyler_Lynn says:

This looks delicious! Well, I mean if I was a dog, but I work at a dog groomers as a bather and I thought that I could make this as a special treat to the owners dogs that I bathe and one of our customers is allergic to grain so this is just absolutly perfect. Thanks for the recipe and happy birthday to Pudder.

13. Melissa says:

I am having a birthday party for my furry best friend and I have invited a lot of his friends. I need to make a lot of these for them but your recipe is for one big one. Can you tell me how to make a lot of them? Thank you Melissa

• Sugar Free Alex says:

Melissa,

Simply multiply the recipe by how many people you need. This recipe probably makes enough for 2 or more dogs. You can double the batch for more dogs and use a muffin pan instead for puppy cupcakes!

14. Melissa says:

Thank you!!!

15. Whitney says:

Hi I just googled grain free dog cake recipes and yours was the first to come up! It looks really good, and simple, I am going to try baking it on March 5th for my Luna’s 1st birthday. She is a Siberian Husky, and I also have another dog who is probably a Golden Retriever mix of some kind, named Lucky, who is about 8 years old. They both enjoy peanut butter and apples so they are sure to love this! Can’t wait to try it!

16. Kelly says:

This recipe looks really good!. I signed up for your newsletter, but I haven’t been getting it lately.

17. Tina says:

Tomorrow is my dog Otto’s 10th birthday… He’s a beautiful and feisty German Shepherd… We recently put him on an all raw food diet so I am extremely happy to have stumbled upon this recipe.. I’m a little curious to see how it rises though.. I’m sure he’s going to love it.. Thank you !!

18. Alison says:

Ugh…seeing pictures of Pudder just made my day : ) What a sweet face!

19. Olivia says:

If I quadrupled this cake recipe, could I bake it in round pans? My dog is allergic to EVERYTHING and this recipe is perfect for her. We’re having a doggy birthday this weekend and I’d like her to have some of this wonderful cake to share with her friends.

20. Kristin says:

I have these in the oven now. I’m throwing my pup a party tomorrow wit his doggie friend. This is our first year with him so I’m going balls to the walls with it.

21. Melissa says:

Hi just wondering if you can recommend an alternative for bananas? I’m not sure my guys like them and I’m baking this tomorrow for my eldest 10th bday party. I can’t seem to think of anything with the same consistency and sweetness.

22. Donna says:

Made this as pupcakes today for my Lacey’s 3rd birthday- she loved it!! Glad to have a new grain-free treat for her!

23. wanda says:

Looks wonderful. If I made mini muffins with this recipe, how well do you think it would freeze?

24. Elizabeth Ross- Sentell says:

Third time making these cakes. My German Shepherds love them!!
    Began using this because my make developed food allergies;(
    I baked a third for my grand puppy Strider for tomorrow,
    Just because he is so cute!!!

25. Elizabeth Ross- Sentell says:

Sorry my male has allergies! Oops

26. [...] made Kea this one last year. She loved it Grain-Free Peanut Butter Apple Doggy Cake | Spoonful of Sugar Free [...]

27. Sannie says:

Awww Pudders is darling! And this recipe looks like a winner! :3

I have a 10 month Belgian Shepherd puppy named Sariel and a 9 month Maine Coon kitten named Yohji, and you bet I’ll celebrate their birthdays. //_^ They’re both already spoiled rotten, but really nice treats like this aren’t so common, so this with a few big raw meaty bones? Haaaaaappy puppy!

28. Deney says:

Oooh I’m really excited to try out this recipe for my Juku and Kami (Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso). Does the apple need to be peeled? Can I also grate the apple?

29. Rachel says:

I made this for my gluten free Lhasa Apso for his birthday. i was skeptical if he would like it, but he absolutly loved it! I was surprized at how easy it was to make, it did look a bit weird when i put it in the oven but if he likes it then thats all that matters. I would definitly recommend it to anyone with a dog, gluten free or not.
    It was also perfect because we had the all the ingrediants, very simple, no planing needed.
    Thanks for such a great recipe!

30. Nikki says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! :) We’ve had our boy Circus for a year now, and he is allergic to most foods. He turns 4 next week and we’re having some of his doggie friends over to celebrate. I really wanted to do something special as a treat, but have been having a heck of a time finding something that wouldn’t make his allergies flare up. This is so simple and perfect, thank you!

31. Norma says:

I just made this for my puppy, Hammy’s second birthday! I tried a bit and it’s not bad! He loved it. Thank you!