I’ve never been much of a runner.
I remember P.E. class in first grade, and it was time to do “physical testing.” Ugh. I was good at sit and reach (touch your toes), but not the dreaded 1-mile run. It was the first time I had ever run a mile. My time? 16 minutes.
I’ve come a long way since then, but I still don’t particularly like running. I’d rather take a bike ride, do some weightlifting, or jumping jacks.
But…sometimes you have to do what you don’t want to do. Here are some tips and things to do while running to keep you from boredom. You might actually have a…(dare I say it?)…exciting run!
10 Ways to Have an Exciting Run:
- Pick a wildflower bouquet on your run to give to a friend, teacher, or your mom! (Your mom will love you forever if you do this.) Please make sure there are no ants or bees in the flowers, though. It is no fun to run along with ants crawling up your arm and bees stinging your wrists!
- Create a story in your head. “Once upon a time there was a girl running through the woods with legs as fast as lightning…” -I never said the story had to be true!
- Bring your camera and snap some fun shots of nature, cars, people, or animals along the way. I wear something around my neck that holds and protects the camera, and put the camera strap around my wrist so I don’t drop it.
- Recite poetry or quotes in your mind or out loud. “Twas bryllyg, and the slythy toves Did gyre and gymble in the wabe” –The Jabberwocky
- List things you are thankful for. You’ll come away from the run feeling refreshed both physically and mentally!
- Make a mental list of things you need to do. Ok, so maybe this one isn’t exciting, but it will prepare you for the week.
- If you have woods or a nature trail nearby, run there (if it is safe). I find it much more entertaining to run in nature with animal calls everywhere than to run on cement. Grass is also easier on your joints.
- Pray. Running is a great time to meditate and pray about anything or anyone who needs prayer.
- Get a running partner. You can talk with them and not even think about running!
- Count things. The number of Bugs, trees, blue cars, whatever. This is sort of like an “I-Spy Running Game.”
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
How do you keep from being bored while running (or exercising in general?)?
Let’s expand this list with your ideas!
P.S. The winner of the Oxo Food Scale giveaway is Dena Goody. Thanks to all who entered!