With winter here and the cold winds (or snow!) gusting, some days all I want to do is curl up with a mug full of coffee and a good book. In fact, that is exactly what I’ve been doing this past week. My stereo shakes with the sounds of Christmas tunes and my oven stays warm from the countless batches of home-baked bread, granola, and roasted nuts.
Warm bowls of oatmeal start off my morning to fuel the rest of my day. The typical raisins with cinnamon toppings have made an appearance along with sliced bananas, toasted almonds, and coconut shavings. When in the mood for something more filling and savory, however, I turn to savory oatmeal. Savory oatmeal can transform creamy oatmeal into spicy, nutty dish with the help of certain vegetables and spices. It reminds me of southern-style grits without the grittiness.
~Savory Oatmeal has a variety of possibilities. Don't be shy in making your own creations!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water (or broth)
- 1/4 cup cubed and roasted butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (or other spice of choice)
- 1 fried egg (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil water (or broth) with oats in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally until thick and creamy.
- Stir in chopped spinach while in saucepan.
- Take off heat and add squash, spices, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with fried egg, if desired, and serve warm.
Health Benefits of Oats:
Oats contain loads of vitamins and minerals to keep you full and energized throughout the day. They can lower cholesterol, burn fat, reduce risk of type 2 diabetes, regulate bowel movements, reduce blood pressure, reduce risks of cancer because of oat’s phytochemical, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
Have you tried savory oatmeal before? What are your favorite toppings and add-ins?