The death and destruction Hurricane Irene caused makes my heart go out to those who lost their homes, family, and friends.
When sadness strikes, sometimes we just need a little comfort. The word, “quiche,” sounds too fancy to be called comfort, but the creamy, eggy dish does just that-comforts.
~This quiche is made with whole brown rice-no flour. It is a great way to use up your leftover rice. You can use some of my suggested fillings below, or create your own mix. Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, and, of course, sugar-free!
Brown Rice Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 egg*
- 4 eggs*
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute (like almond milk)
- 2 cups filling, ideas below
- 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
- Veggie: Chopped bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and spinach.
- Mediterranean: Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, capers, and roasted red peppers.
- Meat Lover’s: Bacon, ham, pepperoni, salami, turkey.
- Hawaiian: Canadian bacon, onions, pineapple.
- Leftover: Throw anything and everything you have in the fridge into the quiche.
THOUGHT-PROVOKING, MIND-PRODDING QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Have you, a family member, or a friend, been affected by hurricane Irene?
P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for the Blissful Bites Giveaway!