- Product Reviews
- Health Facts
- Sugar-Free Challenge
It is national Strawberry Sundae Day!
Weird Holiday? Yes. Tasty Holiday? Yes, and it gives us an excuse to at a tasty treat today!
I created a twist on the original strawberry sundae by mixing it with coconut.
Strawberry Coconut Sundae
~This healthy version of an Ice Cream Sundae does not require an ice cream machine. Dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and, of course, sugar-free!
Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (I’m sure lower-fat coconut milk would work fine, too, but the full-fat makes it more creamy.)
Blend until smooth. It should resemble a thick milkshake.
Freeze for at least two hours or until frozen. Scoop with an ice cream scooper for more authenticity.
- Shaved, unsweetened coconut
- Fresh Strawberries
- Optional: Unsweetened Chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, unsweetened, melted chocolate, coconut butter or cream.
I used fresh strawberries and shaved coconut for mine.
- Strawberries: Great source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, pantothenic acid, vitamin B1, iodine, olic acid, biotin, and vitamin B6. They are also very high in antioxidants which are shown to help prevent chronic diseases. Strawberries contain Ellagic acid which can increase anti-cancer activity and help prevent Alzheimer’s. Strawberry extracts have also been shown to inhibit COX enzymes in vitro, which inhibits the inflammatory process.
- Coconut: Coconut is widely misunderstood because of it’s high fat content; however, coconut’s saturated fat is made up of medium-chain fatty acids. These medium-chains are easy to absorb and digest, and are converted quickly into energy. This means that the body has no opportunity to store the medium-chain as fat. Coconut is also a great source of dietary fiber with a whopping 5 grams per oz!
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
Favorite Sundae Toppings?
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!