- Product Reviews
- Health Facts
- Sugar-Free Challenge
Thanks to Elizabeth for writing this Guest Post!
6 tasty Sugar free treats for Valentine’s Day
With Valentine’s Day fast approaching; the day of love, with all its chocolate and other sweet treats might seem like be a real challenge for anyone looking to lead a sugar-free lifestyle.
It needn’t be though, and today I’ve got a couple of great sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free recipes for you to try…
First up, the Walnut-Apple Crisp, this one is really simple and is a very tasty treat.
1) Walnut-Apple Crisp
- Four medium-sized apples
- Half Teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
- A pinch of grated, fresh nutmeg
- One cup of walnuts
- Half Teaspoon of dairy-free vegan spread
- Pinch of salt
Preparation: Core the apples and then slice it and you can peel the skin as per your taste. Mix the sliced apples with cinnamon powder and the grated nutmeg and then place them in a pie pan. Grind the walnuts in a food processor and when they are finely powdered, add the dairy-free spread and a pinch of salt and mix them gently. Now, sprinkle the walnut mixture on top of the apples and bake them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. this is a wonderful and easy recipe and requires just a handful of ingredients.
If the walnut apple crisp doesn’t tickle your fancy then how about this heart-shaped fresh berry tart in raw pecan-apricot crust.
2) Fresh Berry Tart in Raw Pecan-Apricot Crust
- Half cup each of pecans and walnuts
- One tsp of freshly grated lemon zest
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- Half a cup of dried apricots to be rehydrated by soaking in water for more than an hour.
You can use any of the fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
Preparation: Grind the nuts and then add to it, cinnamon, lemon zest and the rehydrated and drained apricots and make a sticky mixture of it in a food processor and then press it onto small-sized tart bowls and then fill it with fresh berries and then your tart is ready to serve. You can also refrigerate and have it as per your liking.
Finally, if you’re looking for something a little different, how about these chocolate-quinoa-coconut-almond bars?
3) Chocolate-quinoa-coconut-almond Bars
- Half cup of shredded coconut, quinoa flakes and almond butter
- One-third cup of virgin coconut oil
- Two raw cacao nibs
- One-quarter of a tsp of stevia herb powder
Preparation: Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and to this add the melted almond butter and coconut oil and again mix well and refrigerate. Once they are firm, you can cut them into bars and can relish it.
Valentine’s Day is never complete without a luscious chocolate cake and it is possible to make a sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free delicious chocolate cake that is absolutely delectable.
4) Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups of brown rice flour or teff flour
- One cup of unsweetened chocolate
- One and a half teaspoon of baking soda
- Half tsp salt
- One and a half cups of boiling water
- Quarter cup of virgin coconut oil
- One cup each of prunes and dates
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Rehydrate the prunes in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Add the prunes with water along with coconut oil, dates, apple cider vinegar and vanilla into a food processor and blend well. Mix all the dry ingredients and add the wet mixture onto this. Pour the batter into the greased pans and bake for around 25-30 minutes and relish a totally new variety of chocolate cake.
How does the idea of carrot cupcakes sound to you? This healthy dessert tastes great, more than you could have ever imagined it.
5) Carrot Cupcakes
- One cup of Teff flour or sorghum flour, grated carrots and dates or raisins
- 2 tsp of orange juice
- One cup of grape seed oil or dairy-free vegan spread
- One tsp of baking powder and a half tsp of baking soda
- Half cup of chopped pecans
- Half tsp of salt
Preparation: Mix all the wet ingredients along with dates or raisins in a big bowl and mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl. Slowly, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix it well until the mixture becomes smooth. Into this add the carrots and pecans and add a big spoonful of them into the standard muffin pan and bake it at 350 degree F for about 30 minutes.
For a very simple yet mouth-watering brownie, try out the below recipe and enjoy your Valentine’s Day with all these sugar-free and tasty treats.
6) Chocolate Brownie
- 100 ml of vegetable oil or dairy-free vegan spread
- Quarter cup cocoa powder
- I cup of Teff flour or sorghum flour
- Half cup of fruit puree such as apple sauce
- Half cup of dates
- Half cup each of walnuts, pecans and raisins
Dates should be churned once or twice in the food processor so that they break into smaller pieces. Melt the chocolate first and add oil to this and then add the dates, apple sauce and the dry ingredients. Add the nuts and the raisin now and all you need to do is microwave it for around 6 minutes and your ravishing brownies are ready to relish!
Thought-provoking, mind-prodding question of the day:
Quick! Answer: Chocolate or Berries?
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!